Apple Crumble Bars
Apple crumble is probably my favourite dessert (with warm custard in the winter and a dollop of clotted cream in the summer), but I wanted to see if I could transform this popular pud into traybake form, making it easily transportable in lunchboxes and picnic baskets. I'm pleased to report it worked and I ended up with a gorgeously fruity tart apple bar with a sweet and crumbly topping. The quantities I give make a huge tray but it freezes really well too so why not freeze half for another day?
APPLE CRUMBLE BARS
| Serves: makes 30 bars | Prep Time: 20 Minutes | Cook Time: 55 Minutes | Total Time: 1 Hour 15 Minutes |
- 560g Plain Flour
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 270g Golden Caster Sugar
- 60g Light Brown Sugar
- 330g Butter, diced.
- 3 Bramley Apples, peeled and diced
- Juice half a Lemon
- 1 TSP cinnamon
- Step 1. Peel and dice up the apples into small cubes. Squirt with the lemon juice and set aside in a bowl.
- Step 2. Combine the flour, salt and sugars in a bowl.
- Step 3. Rub the butter into the dry ingredients until you get a breadcrumb like consistency.
- Step 4. Take 1 cup of the crumb mixture and mix it with the apples. Add the cinnamon and set aside.
- Step 5. Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan and grease and flour a 9inch×13inch baking pan. Take 1/2 of your remaining crumb mixture and press it into the bottom of the pan. Bake for 10 minutes.
- Step 6. Remove the crust from the oven, pour in the apple mixture and top with last of the crumbs. Put it back in the oven for another 45 minutes. When it’s done, the top should be a beautiful golden brown. Cool by putting the pan on a wire rack so air can circulate around it. Cut into bars after they've completely cooled.