Sticky Date BarsThese bars are moreish - not good for my post pregnancy diet, but hey it's nearly Christmas so the diet can wait until January. In any case I'm in need of energy boosting snacks at the moment - who said second babies were easier!
STICKY DATE BARS
| Serves: 12 Squares | Prep Time: 20 Minutes | Cook Time: 40 Minutes | Total Time: 1 Hour |
- 250g Dates, pitted, chopped
- 200ml Water
- 175g Plain Flour
- 1/2 TSP Bicarb of Soda
- 175g soft light brown sugar
- 100g Porridge Oats
- Pinch Salt
- 175g Butter, diced
- Step 1:Preheat oven to 180c/160CFan. Butter the sides of a 20cm cake tin and line with baking paper.
- Step 2: Place the dates and water into a pan and bring to a simmer - cook for 10 minutes until syrupy. Cool to room temperature.
- Step 3: Sift the flour and bicarbonate of soda into a bowl and stir in the sugar, oats and salt. Add the butter and rub in using fingertips.
- Step 4: Press half mixture over base and press down firmly, spread over date mixture then scatter over other half of crumb mix and press down lightly.
- Step 5: Bake for 40 minutes, cool then cut into squares.