What could be more comforting on a snowy day! I utilised leftover roast chicken and gammon again in this creation - you can start calling me Mrs Frugal if you want.
I gently cooked the leeks for 40 minutes and they turned lovely and sweet, a perfect compliment to the chicken and ham. You'll also see I used ready made puff pastry for this pie - sometimes life is too short....especially when there are snowmen to build.
CHICKEN, HAM AND LEEK PIE
| Serves: 4 | Prep Time: 20 Minutes | Cook Time: 1 Hour 20 Minutes |
- Splash of Olive and Oil and a little Butter
- 1kg Leeks, washed and sliced
- 2 Rashers of Bacon, chopped
- 1/2 Bunch Thyme
- 400g cooked Chicken
- 250g Ham, cubed
- 2 TBSP Plain Flour
- 2 Pints of Chicken Stock
- 3 tbsp Creme Fraiche
- 250 Puff Pastry
- 1 Egg
- Step 1: Preheat oven to 190c. Fry bacon and thyme with the butter and olive oil in a casserole for 3 minutes and season.
- Step 2: Add the sliced leeks, cover with a lid and cook gently for 40 minutes.
- Step 3: Add cooked chicken, ham, flour, stock and creme fraiche and bring to the boil. Take off the heat.
- Step 4: Pour mixture through a sieve and reserve the liquid for gravy
- Step 5: Get a 30cm x 20cm ovenproof dish and tip the chicken and ham mixture into it.
- Step 6: Roll out the pastry to required size and to approx 1cm thick and lay over the pie dish - tuck the pastry into the sides. Score the pastry with a knife. Egg wash the pastry and cook in a preheated oven for 40 minutes.
- Step 7: Serve with the reserved gravy and vegetables of your choice.