I don't think I've ever made a Biryani at home before, which surprises me as we all love rice and curry. This was so simple to make and turned out to be a really tasty meal. Next time I will try it with lamb.
| Serves: 4 | Prep Time: 15 Minutes | Cook Time: 30 Minutes | Total Time: 45 Minutes |
- 300g basmati rice
- 25g butter
- 1 large onion , finely sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cardamom pods
- small cinnamon stick
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 3 skinless chicken breasts , cut into large chunks
- 4 tbsp curry paste (I used Tikka paste)
- 60g sultana's
- 800ml chicken stock
- Handful of Fresh Coriander - if your hubby/wife/kids will let you. My hubby's reaction when I told him what we were having for dinner was 'great...but please don't put any of that green s**t in!!)
- Step 1: Soak the rice in warm water, then wash in cold until the water runs clear. Heat butter in a saucepan and cook the onions with the bay leaf and other whole spices for 10 mins. Sprinkle in the turmeric, then add chicken and curry paste and cook until aromatic.
- Step 2: Stir the rice into the pan with the sultana's, then pour over the stock and season. Place a tight-fitting lid on the pan and bring to a hard boil, then lower the heat to a minimum and cook the rice for another 5 mins. Turn off the heat and leave for 10 mins. Stir well, mixing through half the coriander. To serve, scatter over the rest of the coriander.