The Rhubarb gave the muffins a wonderful sourness, contrasting perfectly with the sweet muffin batter. It's such a shame that the rhubarb season is so short - I will have to make the most of it while it lasts.
| Serves: 12 | Prep Time: 15 Minutes | Cook Time: 20 Minutes | Total Time: 35 Minutes |
- 250g Light Muscavado Sugar
- 80ml Vegetable Oil
- 1 Egg
- 1 TSP Vanilla Extract
- 250ml Buttermilk
- 180g Rhubarb, chopped into 1cm chunks
- 50g Walnuts (or you can use Pecans), roughly chopped
- 300g Plain Flour
- 2 TSP Baking Powder
- 1 TSP Bicarbonate of Soda
- 50g Bran
- 2 TBSP Demerera Sugar
- Step 1: Line a 12 hole muffin tin with paper cases and preheat the oven to 200C/180C Fan/Gas 6.
- Step 2: In a bowl mix the sugar, oil, egg, vanilla extract and buttermilk, stir in the chopped rhubarb and nuts. Sift in the flour, baking powder and bicarb and sprinkle over the bran. Fold in gently - do not overmix.
- Step 3: Spoon into the prepared muffin tin and sprinkle with the demerera sugar.
- Step 4: Bake for 20 minutes - best eaten warm