We had a brief glimpse of Summer at the end of last week, but then it rained. My garden needed a bit of rain so I'm not complaining (too much), but I do hope we have a proper Summer this year, like the legendary Summer of 1976. I must add that I wasn't around myself, but my parents tell me it was hot. One thing is for sure - they wouldn't have been eating this in 1976!
If you want to know how it came together it basically goes like this. Stuff a lemon up a chicken, roast it, add some red onions and sliced squash to the chicken 30 minutes before the end of cooking. Take out of the oven, find some mozzarella and rocket at the back of fridge, place everything delicately on a serving plate - et voila. It was one of those throw together meals that really worked, especially the roasting juices drizzled over the rocket at the end. Here is the recipe in full.
ROAST CHICKEN, BUTTERNUT AND MOZZARELLA SALAD
| Serves: 4 | Prep Time: 10 Minutes | Cook Time: 1 Hour 30 Minutes |
- 1 small Chicken
- 1 Lemon, halved
- 1 Butternut Squash, halved, seeds scooped out and sliced (skin can be left on)
- 2 Red Onions, cut into large chunks
- 2 Balls of Mozzarella, torn
- Bag of Rocket, washed
- Step 1: Preheat oven to 180c/160 fan
- Step 2: Place lemon in cavity of chicken and season with salt and pepper. Put in a roasting pan and roast for required time (I had a 1.6kg chicken and I roasted it for 1 hour 30). 30 minutes before the end of cooking, place the sliced squash and red onion in with the chicken (or use a separate roasting pan if you wish).
- Step 3: Once the chicken has rested for 20 minutes, slice it up, discarding skin.
- Step 4: Plate up the rocket then place the chicken, squash slices, red onion and mozzarella on top. Drizzle with the roasting juices.