Its not exactly authentic, being more like risotto in texture rather than the traditional rice and fish breakfast dish that originated in India, but who cares when it tastes so good. You could replace the smoked cod loin with the more traditional smoked haddock if you wanted, I just managed to pick up a lovely piece of cod from my local fishmongers at a knockdown price.
| Serves: 4 | Prep Time: 10 Minutes | Cook Time: 20 Minutes | Total Time: 30 Minutes |
- 400g Cooked Basmati Rice
- 2 TBSP Groundnut Oil
- 1 heaped TBSP Harissa Paste
- 400g Smoked Cod Loin, skinless and boneless
- 6 Spring Onions, sliced
- 1 Green Chili, sliced
- 400g Tin Coconut Milk
- 1 TSP Veg Bouillon powder
- Handful of frozen peas
- 2 Hard Boiled Eggs, quartered
- 1 Lime, quartered
- Step 1: Heat the oil in a large lidded pan and add the harissa paste, stir for a minute.
- Step 2: Place the cod loin(s) into the pan scatter over the spring onions and chilli, pour in the coconut milk, add the vegetable bouillon powder and season. Cover and cook for about 8 minutes.
- Step 3: Uncover, flake the fish and add the rice and peas. Cover and continue to cook for 5 minutes.
- Step 4: Serve into dishes and garnish with boiled egg quarters and lime wedge.