I was recently sent some Sweet Freedom Syrup to experiment with. Sweet Freedom is a completely natural product made 100% from fruit (apples, carob and grapes) and has fewer calories than sugar- so you could argue it is super healthy. Unfortunately as I teamed it with copious amounts of butter, I'm afraid all the good work is probably cancelled out. Nevertheless the flapjacks tasted amazing and not even hubby could detect any difference in flavour. A useful product for diabetics and those wanting to cut calories and refined sugars from their diets.
By Beth Sachs, 24th January 2011
- 110g Light Muscavado Sugar
- 175g Butter
- 1 heaped DSP Sweet Freedom Natural Syrup
- 180g Rolled Oats
- 1/2 TSP Vanilla Extract
- Step 1: Preheat oven to 150c/Gas 2 and butter a 20cm cake tin.
- Step 2: Melt the butter, sugar and syrup in a pan then fold in the oats and vanilla extract.
- Step 3: Pour into prepared tin and bake for 35 minutes. Leave to cool in tin then cut into16 bite size pieces.