This was a delicious weeknight supper I concocted a few nights ago. The red wine is not overpowering because the alcohol is burnt off during cooking. The chorizo and blue cheese, along with wine make this dish fairly rich though so you don't need a huge amount to feel satisfied. Initially hubby took one look at the colour of it (which I admit is not overly appealing - maybe I needed more red wine), screwed his nose up and muttered something derogatory under his breath....but once I actually convinced him to taste it he was very pleasantly surprised.
RED WINE, CHORIZO AND GORGONZOLA RISOTTO
| Serves: 2 | Prep Time: 10 Minutes | Cook Time: 20 Minutes | Total Time: 30 Minutes |
- Olive Oil and 1 TBSP Butter
- 1 Onion, chopped
- Sprig of fresh thyme, leaves picked
- 80g Chorizo, halved and sliced
- 300g Risotto Rice
- 1 Large glass of red wine
- 1 Litre of Hot Vegetable Stock
- 80g Gorgonzola, plus extra for the top
- Step 1: Heat the oil and butter in a large pan and fry the onion for 5 minutes until soft. Add the thyme leaves and chorizo and turn up the heat slightly - fry for 2 minutes.
- Step 2: Stir in the risotto rice then add the wine and let it bubble for a minute or two.
- Step 3: Start adding the stock a ladleful at a time until fully absorbed and rice tender (you may need more stock).
- Step 4: Stir through blue cheese and let it melt then serve in bowls and scatter over some more blue cheese.