Muesli Bars with New Zealand Honey Co
I rarely get the chance to eat a proper breakfast in the week and I'm fed up with eating cardboard cereal bars....so, I had a go at making my own. I loosely based the recipe on one I had seen in the Leon: Naturally Fast Food cookbook and they turned out just as I had wanted - chewy and fruity, with some added crunch from the nuts and seeds. Eating one of these kept those dreaded mid morning hunger pangs at bay...until at least 11:30am - which is a good effort!
I used some New Zealand Honey Co. (@NZ_Honey_Co) Beech Forest Honeydew Honey as a natural sweetener in these bars, which worked perfectly. The honey comes in squeezy tubes which avoids a sticky mess and it also has a unique pre-biotic and antioxidant rating. New Zealand Honey Co. also do a Thyme Honey which I desperately want to get my hands on as I bet it would make a wonderful marinade for chicken and pork. You can buy both varieties at Waitrose and they retail at £3.49
| Serves: 12 bars | Prep Time: 10 Minutes | Cook Time: 20 Minutes | Total Time: 30 Minutes |
- 280g Dried Fruit - I used apricots and dates
- 60g Nuts - I used cashews and pecans
- 60g Pumpkin Seeds
- 80ml Orange Juice
- 2 Level TBSP Honey
- 60g Plain Flour
- 120g Rolled Oats
- Step 1: Preheat oven to 190c.
- Step 2: Put the fruit and nuts in a food processor and blitz until chopped.
- Step 3: Warm the orange juice and honey in pan, add the flour and oats then the dried fruit, nuts and seeds.
- Step 4: Tip the mixture into a 25x30cm tin, lined with baking paper.
- Step 5: Bake for 15-20 minutes for chewy bars, a little longer for crunchier ones.
- Step 6: Cool then cut into bars.