As you can see from the photo below we've had pretty horrendous weather today in Cornwall (what a shame it has coincided with the Royal Cornwall Show) and according to the weather forecasters we are going to get a further battering tonight with gale force winds....and more of the wet stuff. WHEN IS SUMMER GOING TO ARRIVE (I say this every year!) - I cleaned my BBQ and everything.
On summer days like this (which are all too common) comfort food is what we want in this house and my Mac n Cheese with crispy Bacon does the job. I pep up the flavours a bit with the addition of onion, mustard and of course the crispy bacon and I also add a thin layer of breadcrumbs on top (I keep a huge bag of breadcrumbs in the freezer) which go lovely and crunchy when put under the grill. Enjoy!
MACARONI CHEESE WITH BACON
By Beth Sachs, 7th June 2012
- 1 Onion, finely chopped
- 2 Smoked Bacon Rashers, chopped
- 250g Macaroni
- 50g Butter
- 50g Plain Flour
- 700ml Milk
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 1/2 TSP Dijon Mustard
- 200g Extra Mature Cheddar
- Handful Breadcrumbs
- Handful Grana Padana, grated
- Step 1: Preheat the grill.
- Step 2: Bring a big pan of salted water to the boil and cook the macaroni according to packet instructions.
- Step 3: Meanwhile fry the onion in a frying pan until soft then add the bacon and fry until crispy (3-4 minutes), set aside.
- Step 4: In another large saucepan, melt the butter, add the flour and stir for 2 minutes. Gradually add the milk, whisking with a balloon whisk at all times. When all the milk has been added, throw in the bay leaves and season. The sauce with thicken in a few minutes, take off the heat, discard the bay leaves, add the mustard and cheese and stir until sauce is smooth.
- Step 5: Combine the macaroni and bacon mixture into the cheese sauce and tip into an oven proof dish. Scatter over the breadcrumbs and grana padana and pop under the grill until golden and bubbling.
Yield: 4 Portions