Spanish Chicken, Chorizo and Bean Casserole
There was a definite chill in the air this weekend. Autumn is well and truly here in Cornwall and I for one am glad - its my favourite season. I love the bonfires, the quiet beaches, cosy evenings in front of the fire, long walks picking blackberry's, crumbles with lashings of custard and warming comfort food such as this dish.
I really like the smoky flavour that the chorizo and smoked paprika bring to this casserole and the chilli flakes add a subtle heat. If you preferred something a little milder leave out the chilli flakes and use just 1/2 tsp of smoked paprika.
SPANISH CHICKEN, CHORIZO AND BEAN CASSEROLE
By Beth Sachs, 9th September 2013
Ingredients: serves 4
- 1 Red Onion, chopped
- 2 Garlic Cloves, chopped
- Sprig of Thyme
- 150g Chorizo, sliced
- 1 heaped TSP Smoked Paprika
- 1/2 TSP Chilli Flakes
- 4 Chicken Breasts, chopped
- 400g Tin of Tomatoes
- 200ml Chicken Stock
- 400g Tin of Kidney Beans
- Salt and Pepper
- Parsley to serve
- Step 1: In a large casserole, heat 2 TBSP of oil and gently fry the onions for a few minutes. Add the garlic, thyme, smoked paprika, chilli and chorizo and continue to cook for 5 minutes.
- Step 2: Turn the heat up and quickly brown the chicken, then add the tomatoes and stock and salt and pepper, bring to the boil and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Step 3: Add the kidney beans and continue to cook for another 20 minutes.
- Step 4: Serve sprinkled with parsley with some crusty bread.