Really Easy Apple and Gooseberry Crumble
My mum gave me a bag of early season gooseberries the other day - lovely and tart at this time of year and perfect for cooking with. The kids and I decided to make a HUGE apple and gooseberry crumble to enjoy over the weekend - and there is plenty leftover for weekday puddings too.
I'm a custard with crumble kind of person (apart from when I have it for breakfast with Greek Yogurt!), as is my daughter, but the boys prefer theirs with clotted cream. Whichever you decide I can guarantee deliciousness!
APPLE AND GOOSEBERRY CRUMBLE
| Serves: 12 | Prep Time: 20 Minutes | Cook Time: 45 Minutes | Total Time: ~1Hour |
- 8 Bramley apples, peeled and chopped
- 150g Gooseberries, topped and tailed
- 200g Caster Sugar
- 300g Plain Flour
- 150g Salted Butter
- 3 TBSP Demerera Sugar
- Step 1: Preheat oven to 180c and lightly butter a large (or several smaller) ovenproof dish.
- Step 2: In a large pan place the apples, gooseberries and 100g of the caster sugar. Heat until fruit has broken down and become soft. Place into ovenproof dish.
- Step 3: In a large bowl rub together the flour, butter until breadcrumbs form then stir through the other 100g of sugar. Put on top of the fruit mixture, sprinkle with demerera and bake for about 45 minutes.