Asparagus, Pea and Bacon Risotto
Who doesn't love risotto? When I'm making it for the kids I tend to use the oven baked method which leaves my hands free for nappy changes, fixing lego models, plaits - you name it. When its just hubby and I, I revert to the traditional way, adding a ladleful of stock at a time and stirring continuously for half an hour. It's a great stress reliever after a long day. If you want to make this veggie friendly, just omit the bacon - although it does give the dish a wonderful smokey flavour.
A top risotto tip - if you have some clotted cream lurking in the fridge, a tablespoon stirred through the risotto at the end of cooking gives it a lovely rich creamy texture. Try it!
ASPARAGUS, PEA AND BACON RISOTTO
| Serves: 4 | Prep Time: 10 Minutes | Cook Time: 30 Minutes | Total Time: 40 Minutes |
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 2 Garlic Cloves, chopped
- 6 Rashers Smoked Bacon, chopped
- 300g Risotto Rice
- 100ml Vermouth
- 1 Litre Vegetable Stock
- 100g Frozen Peas
- Small bunch of fine asparagus spears, blanched for 2 minutes then refreshed in cold water
- Parmesan shavings to serve (and a dollop of Clotted Cream)
- Step 1: In a large non stick pan, fry the onion and garlic in a tablespoon of butter until soft.
- Step 2: Turn up the heat then add the bacon and fry until crispy.
- Step 3: Add risotto rice and stir until each grain is coated in buttery juices.
- Step 4: Pour in the vermouth and cook off the alcohol for a minute or two.
- Step 5: Start adding the stock a ladleful at a time, stirring continuously. When you only have a few ladles of stock left, add in the peas and blanched asparagus.
- Step 6: Once all the stock has been added and the rice is cooked, take off the heat and stir in some Parmesan shavings and a dollop of clotted cream if you have any.