Comfort food at its best and a recipe the whole family will love. I cheated and used Lidls Italian style meatballs which were very tasty and beautifully seasoned - they will most definitely be going on the shopping list again!
I find meatballs tend to break up if I fry them so in this recipe I oven baked the meatballs separately before adding them to the tomato sauce just before serving. The kids enjoyed the baked meatballs with spaghetti but mashed potatoes or rice would be good as alternatives.
BAKED MEATBALLS IN A TOMATO AND BASIL SAUCE
| Serves: 4 | Prep Time: 10 Minutes | Cook Time: 30 Minutes | Total Time: 40 Minutes |
- 24 ready made meatballs - I used Lidls Italian Meatballs which have a lovely flavour
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 2 Garlic Cloves, chopped
- 2 x 400g Tins of Chopped Tomatoes
- 2 TBSP Sugar
- 1 TBSP Tomato Ketchup
- 1 TBSP Balsamic Vinegar
- Salt and Pepper
- Handful of Basil, torn
- Step 1: Preheat the oven to 200c. Place the meatballs in an ovenproof dish, drizzle with oil and bake in the oven for about 20 minutes.
- Step 2: Whilst the meatballs are cooking, gently fry the onion and garlic until soft and golden then add in the tomatoes, sugar, balsamic vinegar and ketchup. Simmer on a low heat for 20 minutes.
- Step 3: Add the cooked meatballs to the sauce, along with the basil and then continue to cook for 10 minutes. Serve over your favourite pasta