Happy Pancake Day everyone - one of my favourite foodie days of the year. This year we're celebrating the release of Hotel Transylvania 2 on Blu Ray and DVD with some green and healthy 'Blobby' Slime Monster pancakes (Blobby is a green jelly-like monster from the film). The pancakes are packed full of goodness with spinach, spring onion and herbs and are super easy for the kids to help with. Usually my children would turn their noses up at anything green, especially since the recent cookie and avocado incident, but they seemed much more receptive to Slime Monster pancakes and they duly gobbled them up! Calling food silly names might just be my new tactic when I'm trying to get them to eat something they 'think' they don't like. I'll let you know how I get on with that.
The Hotel Transylvania sequel reunites ‘Drac’s Pack’ of loveable characters, led by “Vampa” Drac (Adam Sandler, Grown-Ups) as they try to put Mavis (Selena Gomez, Spring Breakers) and Johnny’s (Andy Samberg, TV’s “Brooklyn Nine-Nine”) son Dennis through a “monster-in-training” boot camp to bring out his vampire side. But little do they know that Drac’s grumpy and very old, old, old school dad Vlad (comedy legend Mel Brooks) is about to pay the family a visit. And when Vlad finds out that his great-grandson is not a pure blood and humans are now welcome at Hotel Transylvania, it doesn’t take long for things to get batty!
|Hotel Transylvania 2 is out now on Digital HD and on 3D Blu-ray, Blu-ray & DVD 15th February|
My kids can't wait and they were rather impressed with the amazing Hotel Transylvania 2 pancake character portraits that Sai Pancakes has created. I'm not even going to to attempt to recreate these but if want to have a go, then share your creations on social media with the hashtag #HotelT2Pancakes.
GREEN PANCAKES (AKA BLOBBY SLIME MONSTER PANCAKES)
| Serves: 4 | Prep Time: 20 Minutes | Cook Time: 15 Minutes | Total Time: 35 Minutes |
- 110g Self Raising Flour
- 1 TBSP Baking Powder
- 1 Egg
- 50g Melted Butter
- 1/2 TSP Salt
- 1/2 TSP Cumin
- 150ml Milk
- 8 Spring Onions, finely sliced
- Small handful of green herbs such as parsley and basil, chopped
- 250g Baby Spinach
- 1 Egg White
- Oil for frying
- Step 1: Make the pancake batter by combining the flour, baking powder, egg, melted butter, salt, cumin and milk in a large bowl. Add the spring onions and chopped herbs.
- Step 2: Wilt the spinach in a pan with a splash of water, drain, squeeze dry and chop. Add this to the batter.
- Step 3: Whisk the egg white until peaks form then fold into the batter.
- Step 4: Heat some oil in a frying pan on a medium heat and spoon 3 TBSP of the batter into the pan for each pancake. The diameter of the pancake should be about 6-7 cm with a thickness of 1cm.
- Step 5: Cook for 1 minute each side then transfer each one to a warm plate whilst you cook the next one. Serve a yogurt and herb dip.
| Author: Beth Sachs | Date: 9th February 2016 |
This is a sponsored post. All thoughts are my own.