Welly Foods, producers of yummy ham and chicken products, recently asked me to develop a recipe for their New Year #ThrifyEats campaign. To combat the post Christmas blues, Welly Foods will be sharing tips and tricks on how to reduce your shopping bill and also food waste during February, as well as showcasing several thrifty recipes from UK food bloggers like myself.
These yummy Ham, Cheese and Herb Savoury Muffins fit the #ThriftyEats campaign ethos perfectly. We all know packing lunchboxes for your kids every day can work out very expensive, especially if you always buy pre-packaged food. These homemade savoury muffins however, utilise ingredients you will probably already have in your store cupboard and fridge so they make the perfect homemade frugal snack for little ones lunches whilst at the same time saving you the pennies.
This is a great base recipe that you can add too and I give some ideas below on how to create new flavour combinations to suit what your children like. They also freeze really well too so make a double batch (which is a great energy saving tip) and pop half in the freezer ready to pull out when you need them. If you do give these a try, don't forget to post a pic on social media using the tag #ThriftyEats.
TOP TIPS FOR MAKING SAVOURY MUFFINS
- Up the veggies by adding a few spoonfuls of tinned sweetcorn, chopped sun-dried tomatoes (about 5), a grated carrot, half a grated courgette or even a handful of chopped rocket to the muffin batter.
- Remember not to over mix the batter - the less you mix the lighter and fluffier the muffins will be.
- Pop the muffins in the freezer and pull out what you need the night before. They will be perfectly defrosted by lunchtime the next day.
- Alternatively eat them just out of the oven with a bowl of homemade soup.
- If you don't have buttermilk in your fridge, just add a couple of squeezes of lemon juice to the same quantity of fresh whole milk and leave for 30 minutes before using in the recipe.
OTHER THRIFTY LUNCHBOX RECIPES YOU MIGHT LIKE
- Cheddar, Spring Onion and Smoked Paprika Scones by Jam and Clotted Cream
- Banana and Coconut Flapjacks from Jam and Clotted Cream
- Mini Ham and Cheddar Quiches from Jam and Clotted Cream
- Sweet Potato and Apple Muffins from Jam and Clotted Cream
- Pizza Whirls from Taming Twins
- Quick Vegetarian Sausage Rolls from A Mummy Too
- Chickpea and Apricot Couscous Salad from Easy Peasy Foodie
- Jammy Shortbread Slices from Jam and Clotted Cream
HAM, CHEESE & HERB SAVOURY MUFFINS
Ham, Cheese & Herb Savoury Muffins
A savoury ham, cheese and herb muffin – perfect for kids lunchboxes.
- 275g Plain Flour
- 1 TBSP Baking Powder
- 1 TSP Italian Dried Herbs
- 125g Cheddar, grated
- 100g Ham, chopped
- 2 Eggs
- 200ml Buttermilk
- 90ml Sunflower Oil
Step 1: Preheat the oven to 190°c/170°cFan and line a 12 hole muffin tin with muffin cases.Step 2: Put the plain flour, baking powder and dried herbs into a large bowl and stir through the cheddar and ham.Step 3: In a jug beat together the eggs, buttermilk and sunflower oil then gently mix into the dry ingredients.Step 4: Spoon the mixture equally into the muffin cases and bake for 25 minutes.
Pin the Ham, Cheese and Herb Savoury Muffins for later ...
KEEP IN TOUCHFacebook
Disclosure: This is a commissioned post for Welly Foods. All thoughts are my own.