If you follow me on Twitter you will know that I deceived hubby with this recipe. You see, he has always told me he HATES anchovies, despite never actually trying them.....I'm sure you can guess the rest of the story but if not here it is in a nutshell.
1. Decide to make a tomato sauce for dinner to go with some fresh pappardelle.
2. Spy jar of unopened anchovies in cupboard whilst getting the tin of tomatoes.
3. Decide to test hubby's supposed hatred of anchovies by adding them to the sauce, along with some capers, which he also hates.
4. Make sauce with said anchovies and capers....and then blitz it up so he can't see them.
5. He declares it was a tasty supper.
6. I say 'that's great, there was anchovies and capers in it'.
7. Hubby throws a wobbly and storms off.
8. Next night in-laws come round for dinner. I had some sauce left so made a pasta dish to go with some homemade pizza and salad.
9. Father in law tells me how tasty said pasta dish is.
10. I tell him there were anchovies and capers in it.
11. Mother in law laughs, apparently he hates anchovies and capers too.
Moto of the story: Buy a hand blender
Pappardelle with Tomato, Garlic and Anchovy Sauce
serve with garlic bread
- 400g Fresh Pappardelle
- 3 Spring Onions, chopped
- 3 Garlic Cloves, chopped
- 400g Tin of Chopped Tomatoes
- 1/2 TSP Dried Chilli Flakes
- 2 Anchovy fillets, chopped
- 1 TBSP Capers, chopped
- 1 TSP Sugar
- Salt and Pepper
Step 1: Put a pan of water on to boil for the pasta.Step 2: Heat some oil in a frying pan, add spring onions and garlic and cook for 3-4 minutes.Step 3: Add all the other ingredients, including 250ml water, simmer for 20 minutes.Step 4: Meanwhile cook the pasta according to packet instructions in the now boiling water and drain.Step 5: Blitz up sauce and stir into the pasta.
DetailsPrep time: Cook time: Total time: Yield: 4 Portions