Jammy Heart Biscuits for Valentines DayAldi press office recently asking if I would be interested in developing a Valentines recipe for them. A lovely request you might think, but there was one little problem. My husband and I are probably the least romantic couple you will ever meet. In fact I recall the last time we went out for Valentines Day was 9 years ago....just before baby number 1 arrived. These day's I live vicariously through my friends' 'date nights' with their other half's - whilst at the same time having a little giggle to myself - we aren't really date night people. Eating a curry on the sofa whilst watching the footie/rugby/cricket/tennis (we do love our sport) is about as good as it gets here.
Despite the serious lack of romance in these parts I thought it would be churlish to say no. One things for sure, the way to my man's heart is definitely through his stomach and he's rather partial to a biscuit or two with his cuppa. So, with the help of the kids I settled on these super simple jammy heart biscuits, which are so easy the kids did most of the work!
If you've got a large heart biscuit cutter feel free to use that, but I settled on a fluted round shaped biscuit with a small jammy heart centre and they turned out great. The crumbly lemony shortbread contrasted so well with the sweet raspberry centre and hubby couldn't have been more complementary about them...hope he doesn't get any ideas, I want to watch the football later!
JAMMY HEART BISCUITS
| Serves: makes 12 biscuits | Prep Time: 10 mins | Cook Time: 12 minutes | Total Time: 22 Minutes |
- 250g Butter, softened
- 100g Caster Sugar
- Zest of 1 Lemon
- 350g Plain Flour
- 2 TBSP Milk
- 150g Seedless Raspberry Jam
- Icing Sugar for dusting
- Step 1: Line two large baking sheets with baking paper.
- Step 2: In a large bowl cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy then beat in the lemon zest and flour.
- Step 3: Add the milk and form the mixture into a dough. Wrap in clingfilm and chill for 30 minutes in the fridge.
- Step 4: Preheat the oven to 180C (160CFan) then roll out the dough (easier to do this in 2 batches) to 3mm thickness.
- Step 5: Cut out 24 fluted round biscuits with a biscuit cutter and in half of the biscuits use a small heart cutter to cut out heart shapes in the centre of the biscuits.
- Step 6: Place on the baking sheets and bake for 12 minutes.
- Step 7: Lift onto a wire rack to cool. Once cool spread each whole biscuit with a small teaspoon of jam and then place the heart cut out biscuits on top.
- Step 8; Dust with icing sugar.
| Author: Beth Sachs | Date: 1st February 2016 |
Disclosure: Aldi sent me vouchers to buy the ingredients used in this recipe. All thoughts are my own.