There's nothing better than a soft squidgy slice of gingerbread cake at this time of year. Dark, fragrant and warming it's perfect with a cup of tea or for serving as part of a festive buffet at Christmas. You could even reheat slices and serve it with clotted cream or custard for a quick and easy pudding. It's definitely up there as one of my all time favourite cakes and it's so simple to make too.
The gingerbread cake needs to be made a few days in advance of when you want to eat it to ensure a lovely sticky moist loaf. I also stash one away in the freezer which I can pull out at a moments notice for unexpected guests. You really can't go wrong with this recipe!
TIPS FOR MAKING THE GINGERBREAD CAKE
- Gingerbread cake tastes better if left for a few days before eating. So once its cool, wrap it up in some baking paper and foil and store away in a dark place for up to 3 days.
- Make an easy orange icing for the cake by mixing sifted icing sugar with some orange juice and drizzle over the loaf before slicing.
- Use leftover gingerbread cake (although I doubt there will be any) as the base for a festive trifle.
OTHER GINGERBREAD RECIPES YOU MIGHT LIKE
SQUIDGY GINGERBREAD LOAF
A spiced gingerbread loaf cake perfect for Christmas. Make it 3 days before you need it to ensure maximum squidginess and flavour.
- 100g Golden Syrup
- 100g Black Treacle
- 100g Unsalted Butter
- 100g Dark Brown Sugar
- 175g Plain Flour
- 1/2 TSP Bicarbonate of Soda
- 1 TBSP Ground Ginger
- 1 TSP Ground Cinnamon
- 1 Egg
- 75g Stem Ginger in Syrup, chopped
- 100ml Whole Milk
Step 1: Preheat the oven to 170°C (150°C fan) and line and grease a 2lb Loaf Tin.Step 2: In a large pan melt the syrup, treacle, butter and sugar until melted and set aside to cool.Step 3: Put the flour, bicarbonate of soda, ground ginger and ground cinnamon in a large bowl and make a well in the centre.Step 4: Stir the melted butter mixture, the egg, chopped stem ginger and milk into the flour mix and stir until combined.Step 5: Pour into the loaf tin and bake for 60 minutes. Cool then wrap in baking paper and foil for 2-3 days before slicing. Alternatively place in the freezer until needed.
Yield: 10 slices
Pin the Squidgy Gingerbread Loaf Cake for later...