We are real chilli fiends in this house, even 10-month old Rory loves a good bowlful of hot chilli and rice (I do make his a bit milder by adding creme fraiche!). Thing is, I always make chilli with beef mince and I always use the same old (but very good nevertheless) recipe. Fancying a bit of change, I devised this smokey vegetarian chilli using black beans and kidney beans as the base.
It freezes really well, so I tend to make up a big batch at the weekend and freeze in individual portions, ready to pull out of the freezer for a tasty mid-week meal. Rice is the obvious partner, but cornbread would also be good.
BLACK BEAN CHILLI
| Serves: 4 | Prep Time: 10 Minutes | Cook Time: 20 Minutes | Total Time: 30 Minutes |
- 3 Garlic Cloves, chopped
- 2 Red Onions, chopped
- 1 TBSP Smoked Paprika
- 1 TBSP Mild Chilli Powder
- 3 TBSP Ground Cumin
- 3 TBSP Cider Vinegar
- 2 x 400g tins of Chopped Tomatoes
- Heaped tsp of light muscavado sugar
- 1 x 400g tin of Black Beans
- 1 x 400g tin of Kidney Beans
- Grated Cheddar and Creme Fraiche to serve
- Step 1: In a large pan heat some oil and fry garlic and onions for 5 minutes. Add the paprika, chilli powder and cumin and cook for 2 minutes. Then add the vinegar, tomatoes and sugar along with some salt and pepper, cook for 10 minutes.
- Step 2: Pour in the beans and cook for a further 10 minutes, serve with grated cheese and creme fraiche.