Smoked Salmon and Asparagus Carbonara
I got a surprise in my online grocery delivery a few weeks ago – smoked salmon. Smoked salmon’s not usually on my shopping list due to the cost and I can only ‘apologise’ to the poor person who missed out because of the very unfortunate mistake by the delivery driver!
I managed to eek it out over two meals – making a very nice Smoked Salmon and Chorizo Risotto and this Smoked Salmon and Asparagus Carbonara. I think Carbonara has to be my ultimate comfort food but the addition of the salmon and asparagus really lightens it up and turns it into a wonderful summery treat. If asparagus isn’t in season you can just replace it with peas or broccoli.
Does anyone else transform their favourite comfort foods into lighter summery dishes for the warmer weather?
SMOKED SALMON AND ASPARAGUS CARBONARA
| Serves: 4 | Prep Time: 10 Minutes | Cook Time: 10 Minutes | Total Time: 20 Minutes |
- 350g Spaghetti
- 1 egg plus 1 yolk, beaten
- 100g Parmesan, grated
- 100g Smoked Salmon, torn
- Bunch of Asparagus spears
- 1 heaped TBSP Creme Fraiche
- Salt and Pepper
- Step 1: Put a pan of boiling water on the hob and bring to the boil.
- Step 2: While waiting, whisk together the eggs and Parmesan, season and set aside.
- Step 3: Once the pasta water is boiling put in the spaghetti and cook according to instructions. 2 minutes from the end add the asparagus spears. Drain then toss through the eggy mixture and creme fraiche.
- Step 4: Gently stir through the smoked salmon, season to taste and serve.