Every time we have a roast, this Cauliflower and Broccoli Cheese gets made. We all love it here including the newest member of the family Baby H, who had her first taste at the weekend! I usually make it ahead of time, pop it into the fridge then just bung it in the oven with the roasties for 20 minutes to brown on top.
I vary the cheeses I use but the kids definitely prefer it with Extra Mature Cheddar and a sprinkling of Parmesan on top - blue cheese is good for a more adult version. Although I usually serve it as a side dish to a roast I can quite happily gobble up a bowl of it on its own - garlic bread is a good accompaniment if you want to eat it this way and maybe some crispy bacon on top.
I hope you enjoy it as much as we do.
CAULIFLOWER AND BROCCOLI CHEESE
| Serves: 6 | Prep Time: 10 Minutes | Cook Time: 20 Minutes | Total Time: 30 Minutes |
- 1 medium head of broccoli broken into florets
- 1 small cauliflower broken into florets
- 50g Butter
- 50g Plain Flour
- 600ml Milk
- 1 TSP Dijon Mustard
- 250g Extra Mature Cheddar
- 25g Parmesan, grated
- Step 1: Preheat oven to 180c if cooking straight away. Put a pan of water on to the hob and bring to the boil.
- Step 2: While you are waiting for the water to boil, melt the butter in a heavy bottom pan, add the flour and stir for 2 minutes.
- Step 3: Add the milk and continue to stir (I use a whisk to remove the lumps) until it starts to bubble and thicken. Take off the heat and stir in the cheddar and mustard. Set aside.
- Step 4: Cook the cauliflower and broccoli in the boiling water for 5 minutes, drain and tip into an oven proof dish. Pour over cheese sauce and sprinkle on Parmesan.
- Step 5: Either cool and put into the fridge until you want it or if eating straight away put it in the oven for 20 minutes to brown.