This is a great Autumnal family meal - perfect for chilly weekend evenings when you just want to warm up inside.
I bought a small piece of gammon from Waitrose last week that was reduced to 90p (it had been £5!) - not enough for a meal by itself, so I cooked it, chopped it up and threw it into the cheese sauce. If you don't have any gammon then bacon would be fine. Or just leave it out altogether.
If you wanted to stretch it, then cook some garlic bread alongside. I sometimes serve it with broccoli and peas too. Whatever you fancy really.
GOOEY MACARONI CHEESE WITH GAMMON
| Serves: 4 | Prep Time: 15 Minutes | Cook Time: 25 Minutes | Total Time: 40 Minutes |
- 50g Butter
- 50g Plain Flour
- 600ml Milk
- 1 TSP Dijon Mustard
- 250g Extra Mature Cheddar, grated
- 250g Macaroni
- Leftover cooked gammon or fry off 6 chopped bacon rashers
- Step 1: Preheat the oven to 180c (fan 160). Put a large pan of boiling water on the hob and bring to the boil. Cook macaroni according to instructions, drain and set aside.
- Step 2: In a large non stick pan melt the butter over a medium heat then stir in the flour. After about 2 minutes gradually add the milk then keep whisking until it bubbles and thickens. This usually takes about 3 minutes.
- Step 3: Take the pan off the heat, add the mustard and cheese and stir to combine. Add in the cooked gammon or bacon and finally the cooked paste. Pop into an oven proof dish and bake for 10-15 minutes to brown on top.