Apple, Caramel and Walnut Crumble
Caramel is used instead of sugar in this crumble recipe and I think it gives it a wonderful flavour along with the nuttiness of the walnuts. Despite living in Cornwall where clotted cream is king, I'm a custard with crumble kind of girl! But either is fine, whichever you prefer.
APPLE, CARAMEL AND WALNUT CRUMBLE
| Serves: 6 | Prep Time: 10 Minutes | Cook Time: 30 Minutes | Total Time: 40 Minutes |
- 6 large Bramley Apples
- 6 heaped TBSP Caramel (I used tinned caramel)
- 200g Plain Flour
- 100g Butter
- 30g Walnuts, chopped
- Step 1: Preheat the oven to 200c (180 fan).
- Step 2: Peel, core and chop the apples then pop them in a large pan with a splash of water and gently cook until starting to soften (takes about 5 minutes). Stir 3 TBSP of the caramel into the apple, take off the heat and spoon into a 1.5 litre oven proof dish.
- Step 3: In a large bowl rub together the butter and flour until you have 'breadcrumbs' then stir in the chopped walnuts and remaining caramel. Scatter over the apples.
- Step 4: Bake in the oven for about 20-30 minutes until the crumble is brown on top.