Halloween Gingerbread Men
This is a great Halloween project for the kids to do this half term. I made up my usual gingerbread dough recipe then spread the cooled, cooked gingerbread men with buttercream (you can make it yourself or buy it ready made in a tub) - this helps the icing stick. The kids then rolled out some ready to roll icing (Renshaws) and used a knife and gingerbread cutters to cut out the shapes they wanted. We made ghosts, zombies, witches and mummies....and they tasted yummy!
Be as creative as you dare!
HALLOWEEN GINGERBREAD MEN
| Serves: 20 | Prep Time: 10 Minutes | Cook Time: 12 Minutes | Total Time: 22 Minutes |
- 350g Plain Flour
- 1 TSP Bicarbonate of Soda
- 2 TSP Ground Ginger
- 1 TSP Ground Cinnamon
- 125g Butter
- 175g Light Soft Brown Sugar
- 1 Egg
- 4 TBSP Golden Syrup
- Ready to Roll coloured icing
- Ready made buttercream in a tub (or make up your own)
- Step 1: Preheat oven to 180c and line two baking trays with baking paper.
- Step 2: Sift together the flour, bicarbonate of soda, ginger and cinnamon and put into bowl of a food processor.
- Step 3: Add butter and pulse until you get breadcrumb consistency.
- Step 4: Add the sugar,egg and syrup and pulse until mixture comes together.
- Step 5: Tip dough onto lightly floured surface, give it a quick knead then wrap in clingfilm and chill for 15 minutes.
- Step 6: Roll the dough out to 0.5cm and cut with gingerbread men cutters.
- Step 7: Bake in the oven for 12 minutes, cool on wire rack.
- Step 8: To decorate spread each gingerbread man with buttercream and decorate with the ready to roll icing.