Vanilla Raspberry Cupcakes
It's my birthday today - booooo! I think I'm quite unique in that the birthday blues started early for me....when I turned 20 to be exact. I remember being an utterly miserable sod at my birthday meal, which was being held in a lovely little seafood restaurant with close family and friends. My Mum sensed there was something up (she always knows when there is something up) and when I told her the reason for my rather odd behaviour she laughed and told me to 'enjoy the journey and have a glass of wine'. I pondered what she said that night and that little conversation has stuck with me over the years. Although I'm still not keen on big 'do's', I do try and make more of an effort now for the sake of the kids. I'm generally not a miserable introverted sod any other day of the year, just in case you're wondering...and by the way I'm still quite a few years off 40 so I really shouldn't have this mindset at all. Onwards and upwards as they say. Tomorrow is another day...and not my birthday - yay!
In the interests of banishing impending birthday'itis', I allowed myself a nice leisurely perusal of the Waitrose baking aisle at the weekend - which of course made me feel a whole lot better! I spied some freeze dried raspberries alongside the pomegranate molasses (which I also snapped up) and was instantly drawn to their vibrant intense colour.
Sunday evening came and Lowen, not wanting my birthday to pass without a 'cake', helped me rustle up these creamy vanilla cupcakes with vanilla raspberry buttercream icing - purely for the kids of course. I have to say though, these lovely little cakes really did lift my spirits and I shall be duly scoffing them all day in the hope they keep my spirits high. Normal service will resume tomorrow!
VANILLA RASPBERRY CUPCAKES
| Serves: makes 9 | Prep Time: 15 Minutes | Cook Time: 12 Minutes | Total Time: 27 Minutes |
- 110g Butter, softened
- 110g Caster Sugar
- 1 TSP Vanilla Extract
- 2 Eggs
- 110g Self Raising Flour
- 2 TBSP Milk
- 9 Fresh Raspberries
- For the Buttercream:
- 140g Butter, softened
- 280g Icing Sugar, sifted
- 2 TBSP Milk
- 4 TBSP Freeze Dried Raspberries - available from Waitrose or online
- Step 1: Preheat the oven to 180C/160C Fan. Line a Muffin Tin with 9 paper cases.
- Step 2: In a standing mixer (or by hand) beat the butter and sugar together until pale and fluffy. Gradually add the eggs and vanilla extract then fold in the flour. Add the milk to loosen.
- Step 3: Divide the mixture between the cases, pop a fresh raspberry in the middle and lightly push down. Bake for 12 minutes.
- Step 4: Whilst the cakes are cooling beat together the icing sugar and butter (use a stand mixer or electric whisk if possible to get the smoothest icing). Beat in the milk.
- Step 5: Spread the icing onto the cakes with a palette knife and sprinkle each one with some freeze dried raspberries.
| Author: Beth Sachs | Date: 18th January 2016 |
I'm submitting this recipe to Caso Costello #Bakeoftheweek