Oven Baked Mushroom and Taleggio Risotto
A seriously good risotto for the cold winter nights we are experiencing at the moment. This risotto is oven baked (meaning a lot less arm ache) and I also decided to finish it off under the grill with some Taleggio - which worked really well. Taleggio, if you aren't too familiar is a semi-soft, washed-rind cheese from the Valtaleggio region in northern Italy, near Lombardy. It's fairly mild in flavor (many call it the Italian version of Brie) and it has a moist to oozy texture. Basically it's yummy!!
OVEN BAKED MUSHROOM AND TALEGGIO RISOTTO
By Beth Sachs, 10th Februrary 2010
Ingredients: to serve 4
- Knob of Butter
- 20g Dried Porcini Mushrooms
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 250g Chestnut Mushrooms, sliced
- 100g Closed Cup Mushrooms, sliced
- 2 TBSP Fresh Thyme Leaves
- Nutmeg, pinch of
- 250g Arborio Rice
- 200ml Chicken Stock
- 1/2 Glass White Wine
- Handful of Grated Parmesan
- 200g Taleggio Cheese, sliced thinly
- Step 1: Soak Porcini Mushrooms in 900ml boiling water for 30 minutes. Drain and reserve mushroom stock and squeeze excess water out of the porcini.
- Step 2: Preheat oven to 150c/130 Fan/ Gas 2.
- Step 3: Fry the onion in a little butter for 10 minutes in casserole pan until soft, add in fresh mushrooms, nutmeg, salt and pepper and thyme leaves. Fry for a further 10 minutes.
- Step 4: Add soaked porcini and rice into the pan and give it a good stir. Add the wine and let it bubble for a minute before adding the chicken stock and reserved mushroom stock. Bring to a simmer.
- Step 5: Transfer to the oven and cook for 20 minutes uncovered.
- Step 6: Take out of the oven and stir in the parmesan. Return to the oven for 15 minutes.
- Step 7: Preheat grill, take the risotto out of the oven and lay the slices of Taleggio on the top, grill for two minutes.