The colder autumn weather is coming (I love Autumn) which makes it the perfect time to resurrect my risotto making skills (although I do enjoy the odd risotto in the summer too).
Everyone in this house loves risotto and I actually find the stirring therapeutic (maybe not on a weeknight though!). I like to keep the flavours simple for the kiddies but if you want to add more herbs or different cheeses (blue?) then go right ahead.
TWO CHEESE, BACON AND PEA RISOTTO
| Serves: 4 | Prep Time: 10 Minutes | Cook Time: 20 Minutes | Total Time: 30 Minutes |
- 1 tbsp butter and tbsp oil
- 1 onion
- 4 rashers bacon, chopped
- 1 tsp thyme
- 400g Risotto rice
- 1.2 litres veg stock
- 75g cheddar, grated
- 50g Parmesan, grated
- handful of peas
- salt and pepper for the adults
- Step 1: Heat he butter and oil in a large pan then fry off the onion until soft.
- Step 2: Turn the heat up and add the bacon and thyme and fry until bacon cooked.
- Step 3: Add the risotto rice, stir for a minute then begin adding the stock a ladleful at a time, continuing to stir the risotto at all times. Add the peas when you get to the last couple of ladles of stock.
- Step 4: Once the rice and peas are cooked and the stock absorbed, take off the heat and stir through the cheese.
- Step 5: Season for the adults and enjoy.