Lentil, Bean and Bacon Stew
I'm hoping Spring is on the way, but just before we see the last of the cold nights here is a great recipe that's cheap and easy to prepare and most importantly delicious and hearty! Feel free to serve it with rice or potatoes, but I find a nice hunk of bread is more than enough. Instead of Thyme you could add Rosemary and if you don't have fresh herbs, by all means substitute with some dried - a couple of heaped teaspoon should be about right.
LENTIL, BEAN AND BACON STEW
| Serves: 4 | Prep Time: 10 Minutes | Cook Time: 45 Minutes | Total Time: 55 Minutes |
- Glug of oil
- 150g Bacon lardons
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 Garlic cloves, chopped
- 200g Dried Green Lentils
- Splash Vermouth
- Large Sprig of Thyme, leaves picked
- 350ml Chicken Stock
- 400g Tin of Tomatoes
- 400g Tin Chickpeas, drained
- 400g Tin of Canellini Beans
- Step 1: Heat oil in a large casserole and fry the bacon, garlic and onion for 5 minutes.
- Step 2: Add the green lentils, stir, then pour in the Vermouth and let it reduce down.
- Step 3: Add the tomatoes, thyme and stock and cook for 15 minutes.
- Step 4: Finally add the beans and cook for a further 20 - 30 minutes.
- Step 5: Serve with some crusty bread.